There are about 300 laboratories that are under management within our university. Everyday, professors and students conduct experiments of an academic nature. In the process, the labs contain many hazardous items whose nature is physical, chemical, biological, or human ergonomical.
In addition, as many of the experiments conducted are novel in nature, involving changes in the experimental process, and there are great diversities in the devices, mechanics, equipment, chemicals, as well as materials used. There is also a high mobility rate of students and research assistants involved, and the issue of occupational health and safety is more complicated than that of a factory with stable manufacturing processes. Given the points mentioned, our center has devised the following rules to raise the level of safety and health management in the university’s labs.
1. Coaching and inspection of the labs: Every year, there will be regular inspections. Inspectors will be sent to inspect all labs, and to identify potential sources of problems.
2. Improvement of safety and health management and facilities: Based on the inspection results from point 1 and the laws and regulations in force, the aim is to coach the departments and institutes in order to improve the lab’s safety and health facilities.
3. To seek financial support from the Dept of Education in order to improve safety and health: Because the university has limited budgets and there is insufficient funding available with which to improve safety and health in labs, the university will seek funding from the Dept of Education in order to improve lab safety and health.
4. Conduct safety and health educational training: Based on the understanding of governmental laws and regulations as applied to labs. Will annually conduct ‘General safety and health. educational training for laboratories’ and ‘General Understanding of hazards, protection gear, and uses of related equipment educational training’. Website users can find related educational material from the Safety and Health Group’s ‘Safety and Health Training Classroom’.
5. Set up an emergency response system: With the installation of a safety information box outside the lab doors, department emergency response equipment, and storage of the protection gear, will issue the relevant equipment based on the nature of the department, and conduct chemical disasters and fire drills, to establish the emergency response system of the labs under university management.
6. Set up a website management system: To update the centers website, strengthen Safety and Health Educational Training, Promotion of related laws and regulations, and internet reporting capability to increase the effectiveness of the promotion of safety and health management of managed labs.
Regarding the protection of the campus from radiation, it will promote the following measures:
1. At the Boai Campus, establish a new water purification plant, to process the hazardous and waste water of that campus.
2. Strengthen management and inspection of toxic chemicals: Assist all departments in the purchase of, use, record, and label toxic chemicals, and implement regular inspections each term. In addition, to assisting each department to accept the inspectors from the EPA doing the inspection work as listed above.
3. The transporting and handling of hazardous disposed items: For the disposed items produced by the labs, to classify, collect, transport, and handle and to lower the dangers in the storage of the disposed items.
4. Inspecting radiation sources and equipment that may produce radiation leakage: To prevent the danger of radiation leakage and maintain health and safety of teaching staff, to send inspectors to various labors to coach and inspect, and to find problem points from the inspection.
5. Conduct environmental protection and radiation prevention educational training: To ensure that colleagues understand the laws and regulations, will regularly conduct ‘Radiation Prevention Safety Seminars and Educational Training’ and ‘Key Items to know when handling toxic chemical substances’ related educational training.
Director of Environmental Protection and Safety Center, Hund-Der Yeh, National Chiao Tung University